Sunday, September 15, 2013

Egg Drop Design

Evanelly Cruz
Pd. 5
Date: 9.12.13  

Initial Design, Materials list, & Procedure.

 
This was my initial egg drop design idea.  Due to weight I've had to make some adjustments and change the design to a smaller container.  
Materials list
1. Little jar with top.
2. Big car wash sponge.
3.Piece of egg carton to keep the egg straight.
Procedure
1.Cut pieces of the sponge up to put it in the jar.
2. Cut on piece of egg cartainer and put in the middle of the jar.
3.Put a little sponge on the top of the egg.
4.Test it out.

 The first design was too heavy to use so i changed it to the container in the right. I did not change the supplies inside. It still contains piece of sponges and a piece of the egg container. The reason i
used the piece of the egg container was so that i had something to keep the actual egg standing. All around it are the sponges. It weighs less now. I tested it and the egg did not break.

 I added other types of sponges and wrapped the rubber bands around the container. I tested it by dropping it down the steps and dropped it from 6ft.


Data Section:
1. Report the mass of your structure without the egg. 120.92 grams
2. Show the score calculations with that mass.
3. Report the number of points and the grade contained.
2000/120.92*10= 165 (B)
2000/120.92*5= 82 (C)
2000/120.92= 24 (D)


4. Report the mass of your structure with the egg. 170 g. 

 
 ^The object was to large to scale.
^I had to weigh it on the actual regular scale. 

5.Report the test drops.

Test #1:   
In this first test, My friend Rayon pushed it off the desk which is about 36 in. It did not break.


Test #2:
In this second test, i got Kristen to Throw my design down and it did not break. It was successful.


Test #3:


Post Lab Questions:

1. Explain your final design in 2-3 sentences.
*My final design is a little plastic container. I wrapped two large rubber bands around the outside to keep the top on. Inside was filled with two sponges and one large car wash sponge. In the middle was the egg which was standing on a piece of the egg carton.
2.How was your design modified from your initial hypothesis to improve your results?
*My initial design was a large plastic container that was filled with the car wash sponge, and the piece of the egg carton to keep the actual egg standing. I modified it and got a smaller container and added 2 more sponges which was a great help with my design. 
3. What was the purpose of having multiple test drop of your structure? 
*The purpose of having multiple test for my structure was so that I could observe how to make it better so that when we did the last test it could be successful. 
4. Explain why your structure did or did not make the egg break.
* I think the egg did not break because in my structure i put a lot of sponges around it to protect the egg. Also, i think its because i left the egg standing up instead of laying side ways.
5. If you could change your design in any way, what would you have done differently? 
* If I could change my design I'd probably put the egg in a smaller container due to weight. The highest I could get is a B because of how heavy my structure was. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment